We absolutely LOVE this recipe for summer! The combination of fresh blueberries, zucchini and lemon are a bite of delicious for breakfast, snacks or even dessert! Bonus- it freezes exceptionally well!
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup BCOO Lemon Fused Olive Oil or Picual Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground or freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon fine sea or table salt
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 cups grated, packed zucchini, not wrung out
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fresh or frozen blueberries
Heat oven to 350°F. Generously grease and flour (or coat with nonstick spray) two loaf pans (8×4 or 9×5; this doesn’t fill the pans so smaller is fine). Alternatively, you can grease 24 standard muffin cups or line them with paper liners.
Whisk eggs, BCOO Lemon Fused Olive Oil, sugar and vanilla in large bowl. Sprinkle cinnamon, nutmeg, baking soda, baking powder, salt and lemon zest over wet ingredients and whisk them in well. Stir in zucchini. Gently stir in flour, mixing only until flour disappears. Stir in blueberries or any add-ins, from nuts to chocolate.
Divide between prepared pans and bake for 55 to 65 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. [Muffins will bake far more quickly, approximately 20 to 25 minutes.] You can let them cool for 10 minutes on a rack before inverting and removing cakes from pans, or just let them cool completely in pans. Store it wrapped in foil at room temperature for up to 5 days. Or freeze for up to 4 months.
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen recipe (we love them!)